The Estimating Engineer is responsible for analyzing customer requirements, preparing a cost estimate, and providing the customer with a quote in an accurate and timely manner.
- Analyze drawings, designs, specifications, and documentation to prepare bill of materials and cost estimates.
- Interpret all levels of RFQs from concept to design and manufacturing phases.
- Apply labor requirements, material overhead, period cost, and profit to each estimate.
- Maintain an effective line of communication with customers and internal departments to ensure customers are provided with excellent service.
- Provide improvement recommendations to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
- Collaborate with manufacturing to clarify requirements.
- Visit job sites for quotes and critical projects to identify requirements and potential issues.
- Review manufacturing and installer related feedback from customers to improve future quoting.
- Communicate effectively with procurement about supplies and freight charges.
- Update cost templates to reflect rates, current steel prices, and other details.
- Conduct turn over meeting with Project management.
- Improve knowledge base of codes from different cities and states.
- Participate in the training and development of other Estimators
- Maintain One Note file to capture history of changes and customer communications.
- Perform other job duties as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- B.S. in Civil Engineering preferred.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering considered.
- Working knowledge of engineering and design concepts of steel structures.
- Effective interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills.
- Able to interpret and translate sketches, layouts, prints, and written requirements with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work seamlessly with customers, vendors, and other internal departments.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business communications, policies, procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondences and effectively present information to management and customers.
- Proficient in MS office suite with a strong understanding of Excel.
- Ability to operate AutoCAD 2D.
- SolidWorks or other 3D design is a plus.
- Experience with SAP2000 or equivalent structural analysis software.